Greg DeMarco weighs in on the sure-to-be-controversial New Japan “New Beginning In USA” cards that were recently released.
Well hello there! I know it’s been a few days since I last posted, and if you follow me on Facebook, you know what’s been going on (see that here). But I am excited to be back, and excited to share my opinions with you!
New Japan’s United States events, called “New Beginning In USA,” finally got their announced cards today.
January 30 in Los Angeles:
- Alex Coughlin vs. Clark Connors
- Jonathan Gresham vs. Tyler Bateman
- Colt Cabana vs. Shane Taylor
- Brody King & Marty Scurll vs. Killer Elite Squad
- Jeff Cobb vs. Karl Fredericks
- David Finlay vs. Chuckie T
- Tracy Williams & Juice Robinson vs. Roppongi Vice (Trent Beretta & Rocky Romero)
February 1 in North Carolina:
- Karl Fredericks vs. Clark Connors
- John Skyler & Colt Cabana vs. Shane Taylor & Lance Archer
- Tracer X vs. Great-O-Kharn
- Jonathan Gresham & Jeff Cobb vs. Brody King & Marty Scurll
- Alex Coughlin vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
- Tracy Williams & David Finlay vs. Rocky Romero & Chuckie T
- IWGP United States Championship: Juice Robinson (c) vs. Trent Beretta
February 2 in Nashville:
- Karl Fredericks vs. Alex Coughlin
- Jonathan Gresham and Colt Cabana vs. Shane Taylor and Lance Archer
- Harlem Bravado vs. Great-O-Kharn
- Clark Connors vs. Marty Scurll
- Jeff Cobb vs. Brody King
- Tracy Williams, David Finlay and Juice Robinson vs. Rocky Romero, Chuckie T and Trent
These shows aren’t bad, but they aren’t New Japan cards! The company isn’t even sending over any lower card guys. I know you have a concurrent tour in Japan, but like you couldn’t spare Jushin “Thunder” Liger?
Don’t get me wrong, there are great matches on each show. The problem is they are being promoted as New Japan, and that’s simply not true. This is “ALL IN was self-funded by Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks” levels of untrue.
Hell, much like ALL IN, these are basically ROH cards (with less ROH talent). I love Ring Of Honor, but they need to focus more on their own product and less on partnerships that are doing nothing but hurting them in the end.