Another look back on events that occurred on this date in wrestling history. Today’s research by Liz brings us the passing of Road Warrior Hawk and the birth of Toni Storm!
Born On This Date:
- 1969 – Hideo Takayama (BADBOY Hido)
- 1983 – Robert Evans (Archibald Peck)
- 1995 – Toni Rossall (Toni Storm)
On This Date In History:
1956 – Fred Blassie defeats Wild Bull Curry to win the NWA Southern Heavyweight Title for the fourth time.
1972 – Johnny Valentine defeats Abdullah The Butcher to win the National Wrestling Federation World Heavyweight Title,
1972 – Bobby Shane defeats Tim Woods in Tampa, Florida to win the NWA Florida Television Title for the second time.
1985 – Carlos Colon defeats Abdullah The Butcher in San Juan, Puerto Rico to win the WWC Universal Heavyweight Title for the fourth time. The belt had been held up following a September 21st match between the two.
1987 – Hector Guerrero & Dr. D defeat Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee for the AWA World Tag Team Title.
1997 – Keiji Mutoh & Masahiro Chono defeat Kensuke Sasaki & Kazuo Yamazaki to win the IWGP Tag Team Title in Kobe, Japan.
1997 – Atsushi Onita & Kintaro Kanemura defeat Hisakatsu Oya & Mr. Gannosuke to win the FMW World Brass Knuckles Tag Team Title in Sendai, Japan.
2001 – Vader & 2 Cold Scorpio become the first Pro Wrestling Noah Global Honored Crown Tag Team Champions by defeating Jun Akiyama & Akitoshi Saito in the finals of a tournament in Yokohama, Japan. On the same card, Tatsuhito Takaiwa defeats Yoshinobu Kanemaru to win the Pro Wrestling Noah Global Honored Crown Junior Heavyweight Title.
2001 – Road Dogg (BG James) defeats Jeff Jarrett to become the first World Wrestling All-Stars World Heavyweight Champion in Perth, Australia.
2001 – Black Warrior defeats Negro Casas to win CMLL’s Legend Of The Silver Mask tournament.
2002 – Sabu defeats Pitbull Gary Wolfe in a tables match to become the 3PW Heavyweight Champion.
2003 – WWE holds their No Mercy Pay-per-view in Baltimore, Maryland. The show is especially notable for an “I Quit” match between Vince and Stephanie McMahon in which Vince promised to give up ownership of WWE if he lost, and Stephanie agreed to step down as General Manager of Smackdown if she lost. Stephanie lost, and would not appear on WWE programming until October 3, 2005. It is also interesting to note that the Maryland State Athletic Commission had a rule that prevented male vs. female wrestling matches, and WWE had to pay a fine in order to have the match.
2007 – Ring of Honor made their Las Vegas debut for Survival of the Fittest 2007:
- Roderick Strong defeated Brent Albright to advance to the SoTF Finale with a gutbuster.
- Chris Hero beat the debuting Karl Anderson with an STF. Anderson looked impressive in a “give and take” match.
- Rocky Romero defeated the debuting TJ Perkins.
- Austin Aries beat Delirious via submission. This match woke up the crowd and was said to be very, very good.
- Claudio Castagnoli defeated Davey Richards with a Ricola Bomb.
- ROH champion Nigel McGuinness and Bryan Danielson fought to a 20-minute draw, eliminating both.
- The Human Tornado defeated Tony Kozina and Shane Hagadorn when he pinned Kozina.
- The Age of The Fall, Jimmy Jacobs & Necro Butcher defeated ROH Tag Team champions Jay & Mark Briscoe in a Streetfight when Jacobs made Mark pass out following a DDT on a chair and Jacobs’ submission. Non-title match
- In the Survival of the Fittest 2007 championship, Chris Hero was not only victorious, but scored every elimination. Hero pinned Tornado after Hero’s Welcome. Hero pinned Romero after Aries hit 450 splash. Hero pinned Aries with a roll-up. Hero pinned Strong after Hero’s Welcome. Chris Hero defeated Claudio Castagnoli after referee Todd Sinclair stopped the match when Claudio passed out in a submission hold by Hero.
2007 – Kristal Marshall was released from WWE after turning down an angle where she would turn heel and align with Edge. The angle would have stemmed from Teddy Long’s wedding gone wrong to Kristal a few weeks earlier. Ultimately, the role was filled by Vickie Guerrero.
2008 – Hulk Hogan’s Celebrity Championship Wrestling debuted on CMT, with appearances by Rob Van Dam and Bill Goldberg. The ten cast members for the show’s only season were former child actor Danny Bonaduce, boxing champion Butterbean, former child actor Todd Bridges, former child actor Dustin Diamond, former child actress Erin Murphy, former NBA player Dennis Rodman, reality television star Trishelle Cannatella, former teen pop singer Tiffany, model Nikki Ziering, and actor/singer Frank Stallone. Tiffany was eliminated on the debut episode. Todd survived elimination that week and ended up in the final before losing to Dennis Rodman
2010 – Ring of Honor owner Cary Silkin penned a long piece responding to “Who” Ring of Honor is on their official website. In the piece, Silkin makes reference to the promotion being called a “vanity company” several weeks back by Eric Bischoff of TNA and responded:
“The level of competition and athleticism in [Saturday’s Davey Richards vs. Christopher Daniels match] blew me away. Christopher Daniels spoke in the ring after the match that he came back to Ring of Honor to be pushed physically like he was by Davey Richards. In Ring of Honor, you’ll not see any hocus pocus or reality stars cashing paychecks. Our brand and our company, is pushed a locker room who wants to show their wrestling skills in the ring and by our fans thirst for matches like Christopher Daniels vs. Davey Richards. ”
2013 – Kurt Angle was officially inducted into the TNA Hall of Fame with a special dinner in his honor.
Died On This Date:
- 2003 – Michael James Hegstrand (Road Warrior Hawk)