Liz looks back on what occurred in the world of professional wrestling on October 9th., including the birth of Eddie Guerrero and the TNA debut of Kurt Angle!
Born on This Date:
- 1943 – Tatsuo Hoshino (Kantaro Hoshino)
- 1963 – Tadao Yasuda
- 1964 – Robin Denise Smith (Rockin’ Robin)
- 1967 – Eduardo Gory Guerrero Llanes (Eddie Guerrero)
- 1971 – Michael Manna (Stevie Richards)
On This Date in Wrestling History:
- 1980 – Jack Brisco defeats Terry Funk in a tournament final for the Georgia National Heavyweight Title.
- 1982 – Nick Bockwinkel defeated Otto Wanz to win the AWA World Heavyweight Championship to begin a 501 day title run.
- 2001 – Billy Kidman defeated X-Pac to win the WCW Cruiserweight Championship. This was Kidman’s first bout since suffering a knee injury just after Invasion.
- 2002 – Syxx-Pac defeats Kid Kash, Tony Mamaluke, Ace Steel, AJ Styles, Jose Maximo and Joel Maximo in a ladder match to win the vacated TNA X Division Championship.
- 2004 -Kensuke Sasaki defeated Kazuyuki Fujita to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.
- 2006 – Kurt Angle made his TNA debut after Samoa Joe refused to return the NWA World Heavyweight Championship belt under threat of termination. Angle and Joe had a staredown, after which Angle headbutted Joe. Kurt celebrated with the belt, until a bloodied Samoa Joe rose and to his feet and gave Kurt an enzuigiri. Kurt Angle told the crowd he wasn’t fired from WWE, he quit. He also said he was back and Vince McMahon could kiss his Olympic ass.
- 2010 – Paul Heyman launched an official Youtube channel for his Heyman Hustle.
- 2011 – AAA presented Heroes Inmortales V (Immortal Heroes V) from Arena Monterrey in Monterrey, Mexico. The show was the fifth annual Antonio Pena memorial show, dedicated to the founder of AAA.
- 2012 – Tammy Sytch was arrested in Branford, CT on charges of third degree burglary and three counts of violating a protective order, her fifth arrest in a 30 day period. She had only been out of jail from the previous day’s arrest for a few hours.
- 2016 – The 12th No Mercy, and first since 2008, took place in Sacramento, California. The advertised main event, a triple threat for the WWE World Championship opened the show as a Presidential Debate was scheduled for later in the night. AJ Styles retained against Dean Ambrose and John Cena.
Died on This Date: