Final 2019 vote for the MOTY! Also, company scores thrown in for fun!
After 120 votes, we have come down to The Chairshot’s 2019 Match of the Year Top 5. Surprisingly, we have five different brands represented, and no real hands down favorite.
Also something I started last year, was basically just tabulating all the major event scores I’ve doled out this year and give an overall score for each brand. Only real requirement is that I had to watch at least 5 events.
Last year there was only 3 votes separating the Top 3, so this should be interesting to see if it’s just as close or more like our first year.
Previous Chairshot MOTY:
NJPW BOSJ 26 Finals Day: BOSJ 26 Finals: Shingo Takagi vs Will Ospreay
NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff: WWE UK Championship: WALTER (c) vs Tyler Bate
NXT Takeover XXV: NXT Championship: Johnny Gargano (c) vs Adam Cole
AEW Double or Nothing: Cody Rhodes vs Dustin Rhodes
WrestleMania 35: WWE Championship: Kofi Kingston vs Daniel Bryan (c)
1st – All Japan Pro Wrestling: 7.625
- Best Event: Atsushi Aoki Memorial – 9/10
- Worst Event: New Years War Day 1 – 6.75/10
2nd – New Japan Pro Wrestling: 7.59
- Best Event: G1 Supercard- 9/10 (live bias)
- Worst Event: Royal Quest – 5.5/10
3rd – NXT: 7.36
- Best Event: TakeOver WarGames III – 8.5/10
- Worst Event: NXT UK TakeOver: Blackpool – 6.5/10
4th – Pro Wrestling NOAH: 7.22
- Best Event: Navigation for Progress – 8/10
- Worst Event: Starting Over Day 4- 6.5/10
5th – AEW: 7.00
- Best Event: Double or Nothing – 8.5/10
- Worst Event: Fyter Fest – 5.5/10
6th – WWE: 6.83
- Best Event: WrestleMania – 8.5/10
- Worst Event: Hell in a Cell – 5.5/10
7th – Impact Wrestling: 6.72
- Best Event: Slammiversary – 8/10
- Worst Event: Victory Road – 4.5/10
8th – Ring of Honor: 6.525
- Best Event: G1 Supercard – 9/10 (live bias)
- Worst Event: Best in the World – 4/10
Looking at the company scores, the funny thing is aside from NXT and AJPW, every other company was up in their average. Yes ROH is heavily inflated from the Supercard show, since we all know they’ve been a spiraling mess, but still interesting to note the general increase in average. Sadly for All Japan, there still aren’t enough eyes on the product, so this year the highest scoring promotion won’t have a representative in the MOTY race.
Since we’re down to the Final 5 matches, the match I’ve had at number one since it happened has been, AEW: Double or Nothing: Dustin Rhodes vs Cody Rhodes. This has been a great year for storytelling, and we’ve got a few matches that leaned heavily into story and emotion. Any of the 5 are deserving of the accolade, so it should be interesting to see what makes it this year!