Bradley Jay is back with his 6-point look at the black and gold brand of excellence. This week it’s all about NXT vs NXT UK, 205 Live, and the brilliant Zack Gibson!
Worlds are colliding. And I have a new wrestlecrush.
6. Just added to the bucket list: run through the crowd, storm the ring and kick the crap out of anybody in my way.
5. Maybe I underestimate how many people watch NXT UK, but their tag team division is one of the absolute hidden gems in all of wrestling. I was sure they would take the loss, but I’m happy that Mark Andrews and Flash Morgan Webster got to shine as bright as they did. So far, their battle with the Bro-serweights is the best match of the Dusty Rhodes Classic. 4.5 stars.
4. I’m enjoying the fluid nature of Worlds Collide. I like that they aren’t sticking to a formula and are open to using it for whatever they need. This year, the focus is clearly on showcasing NXT UK. So far so good, and I’ll jump at any opportunity to see Prince Balor take on Ilya Dragunov. I had no idea I wanted to see that match, now I can’t stop thinking about it. How does NXT keep doing this? And I’m calling it right now: MOTY candidate from Undisputed Era versus Imperium.
3. Speaking of showcasing NXT UK, the world gets to see the fantastic asshole that is Zack Gibson. Dude is one of the best pure heels in the game. Liverpool’s #1 didn’t come here so the hipsters at Full Sail could pretend to know who Alex Shelly is. That’s a legendary burn.
2. How much am I enjoying Worlds Collide? I hope they have a consolation match to crown a third place winner in the Dusty Rhodes Classic. Any combination of the 4 teams left would give us a Takeover worthy match. Why end it? The team that comes in third gets an automatic title shot for the NXT tag belts of their choosing. Then they take on the winner of #DIY versus Mustache Mountain. And the Revival comes back to take on the Splitters of Time. Gimme Gimme Gimme tag team wrestling!
1. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE save 205 Live!!! The talent is there. Lio Rush, Swerve Scott and Tyler Breeze gave us a 4.5 star banger in front of a crowd that genuinely appreciated their work. This is what 205 Live can and should be, not guys busting their asses in front of a crowd more interested in watching dog food and hand puppets. I thought Breeze would win, but I’m cool with Scott getting the victory. His JML driver is all kinds of awesome. And I’m developing a serious wrestlecrush on Lio Rush. He might be the best athlete I’ve seen not named Ricochet.