Greg DeMarco’s look at the WWE Smackdown YouTube viewership for the June 4th broadcast!
As we all know, social media and other outlets have become a huge means of drawing in interaction and viewers for WWE. Most people will point to television ratings like they did during the Monday Night Wars in the late 1990’s, however that can be skewed with so many various means of watching today that do not include cable television. As such, YouTube has joined social media as a metric as important to WWE as television ratings (if not more). The weekly WWE Smackdown YouTube Performance Report is a look into that success metric.
As you’ve become accustomed to, here is this week’s WWE Smackdown YouTube Performance Report, compiled overnight Thursday (about 36 hours after Smackdown went off the air), for the 6/4/19 edition of WWE Smackdown:
- Goldberg and The Undertaker face-to-face – 5.096 million views
- R-Truth vs Elias WWE 24/7 Championship Lumberjack Match – 1.662 million views
- Shane McMahon attack on Roman Reigns – 686k views
- Carmella vs. Alexa Bliss vs. Charlotte Flair – 645k views
- Alexa’s Moment of Bliss with Bayley (plus Carmella & Charlotte Flair) – 348k views
- Lars Sullivan promo w/Kayla Braxton – 296k views
- Kofi Kingston promo with Dolph Ziggler – 226k views
- The New Day vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn – 225k views
- Andrade vs. Apollo Crews & brawl with Finn Balor – 222k views
- Aleister Black backstage promo – 89k views
- Kofi Kingston’s return to Ghana – 67k views
Ratings analysis appears after the ad – buy a shirt!
Time to pick up a new Chairshot shirt!
WWE Smackdown YouTube Viewership – Greg’s Nerd Numbers
- 6/4 edition of Smackdown: 9.562 million total views across 11 videos
- 5/28 edition of Smackdown: 7.688 million total views across 11 videos
- +1.874 million views, 24% increase over last week
- 6/4 Top 5: 8.437 million views
- 5/28 Top 5: 5.942 million views
- +2.495 million views, 41% increase over last week
- 6/4 average: 869k views
- 5/28 average: 698k views
- +170k views per video, 24% decrease over last week
WWE Smackdown YouTube Viewership – Greg’s Analysis
The overall views are up over last week, with the same total number of views. But that is in large part due to Goldberg and The Undertaker pulling over 5 million views. Say what you want…part-timers, old-timers, yada yada yada…THEY DRAW. If this video drew 2.7 million views (slightly above last week’s #1), the overall viewership for Smackdown on YouTube this week would actually have gone down by a marginal clip. Thanks to that same #1 video, the Top 5 for Smackdown this week saw a 41% increase. The total and the average were both up, all thanks to one video.
Right below that top video? The WWE 24/7 Championship! Since the introduction of that belt, ratings have been more stable, and YouTube views are up. It’s ugly, but that’s the point. It’s campy, but that’s the point. And it’s nothing but a success. Another consistent Top 5 performer, Shane McMahon, comes in 3rd this week. The two major women’s segments come in 4th and 5th, and will probably have combined for a million views by the time you read this.
Not a great showing for Kofi Kingston, as all three of his videos are in the bottom five. That’s a shame–he’s one hell of a world champion. Andrade, Apollo Crews, Finn Balor, and Aleister Black all join him in the bottom five.
My favorite video…Andrade bringing the intensity!
What did the YouTube results for this week tell you?