As a continuation to the first preview article, ( See here: http://thechairshot.com/2018/03/new-japan-cup-breakdown/ ), I figured, let’s have a little fun with this. Trying to make some predictions for the first round matches, should be fun, as well as, seeing what he second round could look like. Let’s take a look at the bracket.
- Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii
- Juice Robinson vs. Yujiro Takahashi
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Taichi
- Bad Luck Fale vs. Lance Archer
- YOSHI-HASHI vs. Kota Ibushi
- Tetsuya Naito vs. Zack Sabre Jr
- Toru Yano vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr
- Chuckie T vs. SANADA
Now that we know the first round matches, I’ll give my predictions as to who I think will win these matches by posting what I think the second round will look like.
Second Round Predictions:
- Tomohiro Ishii vs. Juice Robinson
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale
- Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito
- Toru Yano vs. SANADA
While many may think these are the obvious favorites, it’s hard to see a path for the other participants. Yes, the New Japan Cup has upsets fairly often, so Tanahashi may get eliminated by Taichi, but I don’t think anyone would call that. And yes, Yano has a fantastic ability to pick up at least 1 win in 4 of the last 5 New Japan Cups. So comedy wrestler or not, he’s dangerous in tournaments.
What are your predictions for the first round? Let me know in the comments below.