The results of WWE WrestleMania 34 did not shake out the way oddsmakers expected. And when bettors win big, the sports books lose. The following breakdown is provided by our friends at BetWrestling.com.
“The sports books didn’t fare very well this WrestleMania and were only able to accurately project 7 out of 13 matches. 6 upsets happened and some of these were serious upsets. Charlotte Flair ending the undefeated streak of Asuka and both AJ Styles and Brock Lesnar retaining as underdogs were shocking upsets. Enjoy a breakdown of the how the odds settled in every match.
- Matt Hardy wins the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal – Matt Hardy was slightly favored to win and eventually accurate line move suggests there had been an inside leak with this particular match. At one point there were other participants that had the most favorable odds including Elias, who ended up in a segment with John Cena. Big Cass also had favorable odds but ended up not appearing at all.
- Cedric Alexander defeats Mustafa Ali in the Tournament Finals for the vacant Cruiserweight Championship – Alexander had convincing odds prior to this match and they ended up being spot on for this match. This match’s outcome wasn’t particularly predictable so an inside leak placing bets on this match is very likely.
- Naomi wins the Wrestlemania Women’s Battle Royal – No evidence of inside leaks in this one. Naomi had odds of +1250 for this match and ending up winning. Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch and Bayley all had competitive odds and lost. A $100 bet on Naomi would have won $1250, so this was probably a case of the finish not being decided until right before the event.
- Seth Rollins defeats The Miz and Finn Balor to become the Intercontinental Champion – Seth Rollins ended up being favored right before this match, although earlier odds had Finn Balor as the slight favorite. Seems like an inside leak based on the line shift coupled with it’s accuracy as a predictor.
- Charlotte Flair defeats Asuka to retain her Smackdown Women’s Championship – Asuka was always heavily favored to win this match and keep her undefeated streak intact. While Charlotte was able to win, causing an upset, the nature in which the odds moved in Flair’s direction in the hours approaching the match suggests an inside leak influencing last minute bets being booked. There was no logical reason to back Charlotte without inside information.
- Jinder Mahal defeated Randy Orton, Rusev and Bobby Roode to win the United States Championship – Rusev ended up being favored right before this match, and was earlier in a dead heat with the champion, Orton. Mahal was eventually a +3300 underdog, so this was an enormous upset. Jinder had a history of defying the betting odds in 2017 and appears to continuing this trend in 2018.
- Ronda Rousey and Kurt Angle defeated Stephanie McMahon and Triple H by submission when Rousey tapped out Stephanie with armbar – This match always favored Rousey and Angle and those odds moved in their favor as we grew closer to the bout itself. Easily predictable attraction match. No leaks needed to call this one.
- The Bludgeon Brothers defeated The New Day and the Usos to win the Smackdown Tag Team Championships – Harper and Rowan were favored to win this, but not by much. Based on the Bludgeons recent dominance, the odds favored them and were accurate. It would be very hard to believe this match result leaked or else the winners would have had longer odds.
- The Undertaker defeated John Cena with a tombstone – The Undertaker was favored all along to win this, however his odds shortened leading into this, going against sensibilities that the match outcome leaked.
- Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon defeated Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn when Bryan was able to submit Zayn with a Yes Lock – While Bryan and Shane were originally favored here, the odds flipped in favor of Zayn and Owens before the match. Bryan and Shane winning was a sports book upset.
- Nia Jax defeated Alexa Bliss with a second rope Samoan Drop to win the Raw Women’s Championship – Jax was favored all along and the sports book were able to call this one perfectly.
- AJ Styles defeated Shinsuke Nakamura with a Styles Clash to retain the WWE Championship – This was a shocking upset and Nakamura was convincingly favored all along. The outcome was definitely protected.
- Braun Strowman and Nicholas defeated Cesaro and Sheamus to win the Raw Tag Team Championship after Strowman hit a running power slam on Cesaro – It’s obvious Braun is at WrestleMania to look strong. Even though we never knew who would tag with Strowman, he was always favored to win this by the sports books.
- Brock Lesnar defeated Roman Reigns with an F5 to retain the WWE Universal Championship – Another huge upset, although the odds moved aggressively towards Lesnar as we grew closer to the match. Brock moved to a marginal underdog from a long-shot and ended up retaining. An inside leak is probable for the lines to move in this manner.
It’s called gambling for a reason, and professional wrestling has the added element of the predetermined ending, which can end at any time. Did you place any WresteMania bets? If so, leave a comment and let us know how it turned out!
Chairshot Wrestling News Shuffle: Bray Wyatt On Raw, All Out Sold Out, WWE Talent News And More! (6/17/19)
News Involving Bray Wyatt On Raw, All Out Sold Out, WWE Talent News And More!
News Here! Bray Wyatt On Raw, All Out Sold Out, WWE Talent News And More!
Mike And Maria Re-sign With WWE
Last month in the shuffle, I discussed the news that Mike and Maria Kanellis had expiring contracts with WWE. Many of you discussed their potential jump to AEW on the Chairshot Facebook page. In what many are considering to be a bit of a shock, the couple has reach a long term agreement to re-sign with WWE, according to Pro Wrestling Sheet. No contract terms were disclosed.
I am a bit shocked that they re-signed with WWE, and figured a move back to ROH or a jump to AEW seemed logical. While many, including myself, feel that WWE hasn’t done much with the couple, Mike Kanellis did have a substance abuse battle last year in which the company stood by him during his difficult time. Perhaps due to the loyalty the company showed then, and mostly likely a decent wage, were the reasons the couple chose to re-sign. What if Maria re-signed and Mike didn’t?
All Out Sold Out
In what must be considered great news for AEW, the All Out show sold out in less than 15 minuets. According to various outlets, ticket sites for the event have over 70,00 people in online waiting rooms waiting to purchase tickets. The Sears Center in Chicago will hold roughly 12,000 people for this event.
— All Elite Wrestling (@AEWrestling) June 14, 2019
It is great that the company has been so successful in ticket sales when WWE is hurting to sell tickets to Stomping Grounds. However, can the company sell out venues week after week for live television ? Not taking any credit away from the company, but many are comparing AEW ticket sales to WWE ticket sales. It is a little tough to be doing that when the company has yet to air a weekly product.
Bray Wyatt On RAW?
One of the most entertaining segments on RAW lately has been the Firefly Funhouse and Bray Wyatt. According to PWInsider, Wyatt is scheduled to appear on RAW during tonight’s episode.
Many agree that Wyatt has been the most entertaining segment of RAW. How they re-debut Wyatt will be key. My hope is is that the company finally does something with Wyatt, as Wyatt is money.
Latest On WWE Talent Exodus
Since the formation of AEW last October, it’s been almost weekly that we hear about someone leaving WWE to jump to AEW. According to Dave Meltzer, many inside WWE are turning down big money deals to potentially jump to AEW.
“They were just in town and everybody wants out. I won’t say everybody because that’s not fair. Roman Reigns doesn’t want out. But the amount of people who have contacted AEW would blow your mind,” Meltzer said. “There are people that are counting down the days. There are guys who have told me, including guys in AEW now, that they cannot believe that they turned the offer down [from WWE] but they did. I know people in WWE right now who are not interested in signing again and they can’t believe they are turning down the money.”
Let’s be honest, we are going to hear news of someone wanting to leave WWE daily. AEW isn’t going to, nor are they going to be interested to, sign every ex-WWE star. Many people that I had felt would have left WWE (Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles, Mike and Maria Kanellis) have re-signed with the company. You could make the argument for many of WWE’s stars jumping to AEW in order to add some life to their careers. Wrestling is one of the most unpredictable forms of entertainment as far as determining what talent will head where.
Chairshot Wrestling News Shuffle: CM Punk/AEW, Moxley vs Omega, WWE/FOX and More! (6/14/19)
News Involving CM Punk/AEW, Moxley vs Omega, WWE/FOX and More! (6/14/19)
News here! CM Punk/AEW, Moxley vs Omega, WWE/FOX and More!
New Wrestling Promotion Launches
2019 has been a very busy year for wrestling, especially when it comes to new promotions launching. Former WWE stars Alberto Del Rio and Chavo Guerrero have partnered together to launch Nacion Lucha Libre. Some of the announced roster includes MVP, Carlito, Del Rio’s former ring announcer Ricardo Rodriguez, LAX, and Pentagon. Del Rio has also hinted in signing currently contracted WWE stars when their contracts run up.
— Nación Lucha Libre Oficial (@NacionLucha) June 11, 2019
Obviously, this won’t be direct competition with the WWE, however it can draw fans away from the Mexico fan base the company has attempted to build. I am wondering if even though fans are unhappy with WWE, if all these new promotions are leading to an over saturation of product.
Moxley vs Omega At All Out
You have to hand it to AEW, as they are creating some very interesting matchups. Today, the company announced that Jon Moxley will take on Kenny Omega at the August 1st All Out event.
Saturday, August 31st, 2019 – @Sears_Centre@JonMoxley vs @KennyOmegamanX
Tickets on sale tomorrow Friday,June 14th!https://t.co/h4nYfXfHAT Noon Eastern / 11am Central / 9am Pacific pic.twitter.com/ZJr2Z2aAxs
— All Elite Wrestling (@AEWrestling) June 13, 2019
This matchup is intriguing to say the least. Two completely different styles of wrestling, creating what I hope to be a great match. This one shouldn’t dissapoint.
CM Punk All In On All Out?
One of the big names that has long been rumored to join AEW is CM Punk. Punk seems to be done with wrestling, but every time AEW has announced an event, fans start up the rumor mill. With the upcoming All Out show taking place in Punk’s hometown of Chicago, many speculate Punk will make an appearance. Punk seems to have shot down that speculation in his latest Tweet.
— CM Puck🏒 (@CMPunk) June 13, 2019
Wrestling has always been a business where a person never could say never. While it is unlikely that Punk signs with AEW, there will always be the speculation that he will. But what would Punk offer to the upstart company? Name recognition ? Could Punk still go in the ring ?
SmackDown On FOX Commercials Start To Air
We all know that SmackDown will be moving to FOX this October, and the network paid a lot of money for WWE programing. FOX looks like it has the wheels in motion for the promotional blitz informing network viewers that SmackDown is heading to the network. Below is a commercial that has been airing, and many are pointing out that the advertisement contains a redesigned logo for the show.
— WrestlingNews.co – WWE/AEW News (@WrestlingNewsCo) June 13, 2019
FOX spent a lot of money to get WWE programming, so it’s no surprise that they are airing commercials four months in advance. Or could it be that FOX is worried about the low ratings that WWE programming has been generating?